You might recall an earlier post declaring that after enduring several years of whining about the delicious homemade meals I serve my family, I vowed to make the grossest meal I could serve in order to hopefully illustrate how good my family has it. I wanted to make a point.
Well, tonight I kept my word. My family was served liver & onions and lima beans for dinner. I didn't bother with the brussel sprouts.
All day long they anticipated the agony. And all day long I dreaded even having to open the canister of liver. I looked in a cookbook for an idea of even what I was supposed to do with the stuff. It said: saute some onions, then add the liver and saute. Then sprinkle with lemon juice and worcestershire. OK.
The family walked in and the first thing I hear is, "What's that good smell?" Huh?!!!! Even as I'm serving, I cannot contain my laughter. The whole scene was absurd. I sat down. Everyone began to eat, hesitantly.
These were the responses:
It tastes like chicken.
This is not so bad. (said with a bit of mocking, such as in the expression "TAKE THAT!")
Hey, I can eat this.
"Can we have this again?" (Answer: PLEASE, NO.)
Mom, you took something disgusting and made it good.
These onions are sweet.
You said it was going to be awful!!!!! To which my husband replied, "Your mom is such a good cook she even made the liver taste good." (I love him!)
At this point I'm thinking this lesson did NOT GO AS PLANNED.
So then I changed my tactic. I revisited the reason WHY they were eating liver. I asked, "How will you remember not to complain about what I serve you?"
Hannah said, "By slapping our heads or going crazy." At which point she bursts into hysterics. Blake and I roll our eyes at each other.
Time for bed!
Addendum: Though the kids managed to eat the liver, our puppy proceeded to throw it up on the carpet underneath the dining room table. Ah, the irony.