Sunday, April 20, 2008

a long lost hobby reclaimed

Today some dear friends and we, along with our combined 6 children, went hiking on a 2-mile trail in a nearby state park. I don't remember the last time I had such soul-refreshing fun.

Hiking was a passion of mine in the decade before I became a mother. My various hiking partners and I covered some pretty amazing territory in those years, exploring Vancouver, Washington state, California, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island....you get the point. But once we moved overseas and the babies came, that precious hobby sadly fell by the wayside. I didn't have the energy to hike or climb mountains with infants, diapers and sippy cups.

I guess you might say that today I dusted off my hiking boots and reclaimed a lost love. Our youngest will be 5 before long! He never once complained of being tired or asked to be carried! Hoo-ray!

Some of today's highlights included: wildflowers, a cave for exploring, sinkholes (who knew?), crossing streams, our dog leading the way, the kids' smiles and delight around every turn, and the feeling that this was a sacred way to spend our Sabbath.

When can we go again?