Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Swim Meet "Hard Lesson" Number One

Erika and Hannah had their first "long course" (50 meter pool) swim meet of the season this past weekend. Erika swam her first-ever 100 meter event, the 100 Freestyle. She finished! That's amazing. I would have drown at the 50 meter mark.

The girls swam side by side in their next event, the 50 back stroke. I cheered my heart out, but all the while wondered whether sisters competing in the same heat was good for sisterly relations or not.

But the girls' final event, the 50 Free, turned out to be a disappointment for Erika. For some reason she zig-zagged down the pool, bumping into the lane marker repeatedly and looking very disoriented. From the top of the arena I couldn't tell what was happening.

Later I learned that her goggles had dislodged upon impact with the water. She simply couldn't see.

I tried my best to encourage her. I told her I was proud she swam so well during the meet. I told her we can learn from our losses as much, if not more, than from our wins. I said we would try to get her new, tighter-fitting goggles. And that there was always next time.

But last night it hit me when a dear friend said, "But don't you see----She finished. She didn't give up. That's amazing." My friend was right. And I felt like my parenting eyes were opened. Erika did keep going, even though she couldn't see. She could have chosen to quit as soon as she dove in. (She hasn't yet learned to open her eyes without goggles.)

My friend and I both went back to Erika to tell her proud we were that she kept going instead of quitting.

I am so proud of Erika. And of Hannah, especially since she didn't brag for beating her big sister!