As we were driving into Oklahoma on our way to my in-laws' house, Blake and I decided to preempt the growing chaos in the backseat by singing Christmas hymns. (The kids had started asking "Are we there yet?" at the 50 mile mark of our 975 mile trip.) As I sung the words, "All for love's sake became poor...." the reality of those two small words, "became poor," seemed to pierce my heart. I couldn't stop thinking about Jesus becoming poor. [It fascinates me that words you've heard many times can one day grab your attention like never before.]
I have often reflected this time of year on the location of Jesus' birth and on the unassuming and nearly unnoticed way he entered this world---given that He was....well... GOD! I always thought that birth in a royal palace would have made more sense to me. But I've never stopped to think about the years that followed that incredible night.
God chose not only the location and the means of His Son's birth, but the family that would raise Him as well. He decided that a simple carpenter's family would raise the Redeemer. Not a rich family.
Astonishing, when you think about it. Jesus...Owner and Creator of everything...would grow up without any of the comforts or privileges that money could bring. He wouldn't have the finest clothes or house or toys. God Incarnate...went without.
Then I thought about my life and what we aim to provide for our children. What can I learn from God's choice for His Son?