If you're a mom, you might be weary of hearing your kids complain about the meals you make. I am at the end of my food service rope. I am a fabulous cook and a food snob on top of that. So it follows that I actually prepare delicious meals for my family because I want to eat them too. My kids crossed a line last week when they complained about eating homemade spaghetti pie and fresh baked bread. So I decided enough is enough. I have to do something drastic.
I calmly (or was it not so calmly?) explained to them that there were millions of children in this world who would be grateful to eat any meal, let alone a delicious one every night. I also explained to my kids that because I am such a good cook, they have no idea what a gross meal really tastes like-----but they're about to find out.
I said, "The next time one of you complains about dinner, I will make a really gross meal and then you might discover how good you have it" Their eyes were wide as saucers. They were also trying to discern if I meant it.
They obviously asked what I would make. I had to think about it as I'm not in the habit of serving hard-to-swallow food. So I thought back to my childhood. What could I barely get down? Or what did I wrap up in my napkin underneath the table?
LIVER!
(Side note: my mom is also a great cook, but she did on rare occasions make liver and the dreaded brussel sprouts. Neither of which have never crossed the threshold of my home.)
So I've decided I will make liver, brussel sprouts and .... my husband added one of his childhood horrors---lima beans. Perhaps beets too. The problem is, if I'm not careful, I'll actually find a way to make these all taste good---if it's possible. (grin)
So you might be wondering-----did the threat work? Did it change their little hearts and characters and root whining out of their hearts? NO! Of course not.
I confess I gave a few reminder warnings out of grace. But when child "x" complained three more times immediately following his warning, I put liver on the menu for this week.
Now two of them have already decided they'll go to bed hungry. Perhaps that's a lesson in and of itself and a story for another day. I still haven't decided if I'll eat it. I may be fasting that day.
I'll keep you posted.
Addendum: [My children are precious to me. I love them to pieces. But they have NO IDEA! I want them to grow up grateful, truly grateful, that they have food on their plates. They have no idea how rich they are to grow up in one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Partly because of that very fact, I suppose we have to work that much harder to help them have thankful hearts.]