[This is a continuation of my previous post. If you are just stopping by and would like to read the beginning of our adoption story, simply scroll down to my previous post, then come back here if you'd like to know what happens next.]
...It was a quiet evening in November 2003. I was sitting on our living room sofa reading a newsletter. As I looked into the faces of orphaned children in the photographs, I quietly and unexpectedly began to cry. In the stillness of that moment I heard words upon my heart, "You need to adopt a son."
"God, is that you?" I whispered. The sense of direction remained unmistakable.
I tiptoed downstairs to Blake's office and stood in the doorway. Still sniffling, I managed these words: I think we're supposed to adopt a son.
Blake, seeing the tears first, and then registering my words, crossed the room and took me in his arms. "Well, I've been praying that God would change your heart about having more kids, but this is not how I thought he would do it."