Many people have asked me over the past several years why we decided to adopt. Others have asked to hear the whole story. Since it's been on my heart for some time to share a "readers' digest" version with you, I've finally decided to dedicate the next several posts to the telling of this miraculous history.
[Oh how I love to tell a good tale! This one hopefully will not disappoint.]
Without further ado...
...I believe "it all began when two people fell in love." From the time of our engagement, we always said we wanted to have three or four children. Soon after our second daughter was born Blake was deployed to Iraq. Being a "single mom" to two very small kids was so exhausting that I took it upon myself to make certain family planning decisions in his absence.
One afternoon when Blake called from Baghdad on his Army-issue cell phone, I made my intentions clear: WE ARE NOT HAVING ANY MORE KIDS! End of discussion. Blake could tell from the tone of my voice that I was not to be argued with. Since Blake recognized there was nothing else he could do to influence my feelings on the subject, he began simply to pray that God would change my heart.
He prayed. He waited. The months passed. And he said not one word to me.
(Stay tuned for the continuing story.)